Monday, September 14, 2009

Blog Post #4: Personal Statement

My experience in life is one adventure where I set out to pursue my goals and aspirations. One of my guiding philosophies in life is to undertake ‘Human Revolution’ in my own life; to resolve and take concrete action to surmount my own limitation. With this principle of life, I took full responsibility of my life to seek ways to polish and to build strong character, and actively challenged my shortcomings rather than taking shortcuts and hiding my weaknesses. Thus, this enabled me to treat everyone with humility and to live a life away from self-centeredness.

Since three years ago, I set my long term goal towards the field of research in chemistry. Beginning with that goal in mind, I worked with my short term goals, avoided being result oriented and prioritized my work to develop my soft skills which would be important in the long run. This is one of the important skills I had learnt from my favorite book ‘The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen R. Covey’. I saw how my life transformed from winning for myself to winning for others by taking my first step to be proactive in life; I recalled the vivid image of myself during my first year in university, boldly volunteered to work in my professor, Dr Lu Yixin’s research laboratory. It was my courage and will to step out of my comfort zone, to be independent and to see how the world can be my stage; I was able to spend six months in Dr Victory J. Hruby’s research laboratory to engage in serious research work and to interact with fellow American students in University of Arizona under sponsorship from National University of Singapore.

Through participation in various community services to gain victory for others, I understood the importance of being courteous to people whom I was commuting with; showing respect for people around me (regardless of their social status) allowed me to inculcate humility. Thus, I could learn from others in every way. Being a trainer for numerous public performance, there were numerous occasions when training fifty participants twice a week became a chore especially when I played this role for seven years. However, my strong determination and perseverance, and the satisfaction I gained from all the grateful words from my participants about how they benefited from all the past trainings at the end of every performance kept me going through these years. I realized that being a trainer is not simply training others but it is about training my own personality and interpersonal communication skills such as empathy and active listening.

An inspiring writer Dr Daisaku Ikeda once wrote, “No matter what kind of difficult situation one may find oneself in, some opening, some opportunity to fight one's way out, can always be found. What's most important is to hold fast to hope, to face the future with courage.” With hope and courage, I can definitely overcome deadlocks in my life and future research endeavours.

7 comments:

  1. Hey Patrick,

    Excellent introduction about yourself. It was clear and very fluent. You should talk about how you started having an interest for chemistry. I like the way you talk about your participation in community services. It was clear and concise on how you improve as a person and your interpersonal skills. Your article is fluent and expressive. You used a lot of vocabulary to make your article very lively. There isn’t much problem about your grammar and sentence structure. You quoted a lot of motivating and encouraging sentences. Well done and I wish you the best for your future endeavors!

    Shinye

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Patrick =)

    Your personal statement is impressive with well-elaborated ideas. In addition, the subject of each paragraph is well-focused. The usage of examples to back up your point makes the idea much clearer and interesting.

    "With this principle of life, I took full responsibility of my life to seek ways to polish and to build strong character, and actively challenged my shortcomings rather than taking shortcuts and hiding my weaknesses." I feel that this idea is very insightful.

    I have benefited much from your post! Thank you for sharing! =)

    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Patrick,(good thing I saved a copy of all my comments, here it is as you requested)

    After reading your post, I can’t help but wonder if you got confused with the criteria for this week. I think we are supposed to apply the 7Cs in our posts and not literally talk about them in the post with regard to a personal statement. I do apologise if that was a wrong assessment; it was just the first impression that struck me. Nonetheless, I still feel that you still managed to reconcile the 2 ideas by showing that you possess the 7Cs as a transferrable skill. In general, I think your examples are quite effective in illustrating how you have a good grasp of the various components of the 7Cs. However, I think you should also emphasize more on the unique characteristics that you possess that will help you stand out among other people. After all, a personal statement is all about telling others about yourself.

    Really sorry, but I see some minor mistakes again. I hope you don’t mind if I point them out. For example, “fellow student X and I works”, it should be work, “their attentions”, should be attention, “proactive responds”, should be response. Lastly, you forgot the full-stop at the end of the 3rd paragraph, but that’s just me being really “anal”.

    Cheers and see you in class tomorrow!
    Russell

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Patrick,

    This is quite a comprehensive presentation of your background, your values and your key traits. I especially like *how you have evolved,* but you need to present your case more concisely. I think the "statement" is a bit bulky, especially with the numerous language errors throughout. Some revamping is in order.

    I'd start with the organization, paring this down to, say, the one or two most important traits you've developed and an explanation of how you have refined those through your study and work.

    You don't need to "do it all" in this statement. That might be more appropriate in an application letter, but even then...

    Here are the language issues:


    1) Every moment in my life is important stepping stones... > Every moment in my life is an important stepping stone...

    2) Since three years ago, I had set ... > Three years ago, I set ...

    3) Chemistry > chemistry (be careful not to capitalize common nouns)

    4) I worked with my short term goals and prioritize my work > I worked with my short term goals and prioritized my work (verb tense in parallel structure)

    5) which were important in the long run *rather than being result oriented*. > huh?

    5) which were important > which would be important

    6) One of my guiding philosophies in life is to undertake ‘Human Revolution’ in my own life; to resolve and take concrete action to surmount my own limitation. With this principle of life, I took full responsibility of my life to seek ways to polish and to build strong character, and actively challenged my shortcomings rather than taking shortcuts and hiding my weaknesses.... > this whole paragraph might serve you better as an intro

    7) to inculcate humblility. > ?

    8) Dr Daisaku Ikeda once wrote; " > Dr Daisaku Ikeda once wrote, "

    Can we work on this? I know we can.

    Thank you for your patience and willingness to learn!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Patrick,

    what a lengthy post! It seems like both of us have the misconception that 'chemistry' is a proper noun. :)

    On the whole, your entry is well-explained. However, it is not very focused. Is there a particular trait or characteristic about you that you want your readers to know?

    I love your second paragraph and can easily relate to it because I read that book too. It taught me not to procrastinate. I wish I had included my favorite reads in my personal statement. This is a different yet good move to impress your readers.

    I benefited from this entry.
    Thank you, Patrick!

    Regards,
    Kesleen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey patrick!

    I appreciate how you're trying to show that you are a person who thinks about life. However, I agree with Brad about the bulky sentences. Some of your sentences at the beginning can be a bit long and hard to understand. I had to read some of them twice. Even so, I still had some difficulties trying to comprehend what are you trying to say. Having philosophy is good. It shows that you think about life but maybe you should display your ideas in a more concise manner. Make it easier for the reader to understand:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi everyone,

    Thak you so much for giving me important advise. I realised that I had organize my personal statement close to an application letter. I'll focus on the traits tht made me different from others.

    ReplyDelete